A metal roof is a system that comprises of metal pieces or tiles. This forms an integral part of the building as a whole. Initially, it was not very uncommon to find metal roofs on houses. However, as these roofs have tremendous advantages, there are a lot of people who are tuning to this roofing system to protect themselves against harsh weather, dust grime etc.
Advantages of Metal Roofing
- This is a system that can be recycled as a whole as far as the material is concerned. This is a hundred percent recyclable material and so is extremely eco friendly.
- This reflects the heat away from the house and does not get very hot at all. Unlike asphalt, this is very energy friendly as it brings down the temperature by reflecting the heat away during the summer. Due to this insulating effect, metal roofs can reduce your energy bills to 40% and this too in summer while in the winters as they are too effective and bring down the energy bills by 15% on an average.
- In this system, a gap of four inches is maintained between the plywood and the cool color metal on the top of the roof. This gap allows an air flow to occur in between, and the cool colors are the color like white that keep the heat away. The combined effect of all this makes the metal roofing ideal during summers as the house is cooled down due to the gapping, the subsequent airflow and the overall effect of the color of the metal.
- Re-sealing and insulating the air ducts in the attic cost more money? By using the metal roofing, this issue can be effectively addressed as the air flows unhindered in between the gaps of the plywood and the metal straps on the roof.
- These are highly durable and so these cost you less money than the asphalt shingles in the long run.
The Types of Material pertaining to Metal roofing
- Corrugated galvanized steel. This is a sheet of steel that is coated with zinc and then forms the corrugated sheets.
- Standing seam materials are used for this kind of roofing
- Metal tile sheets that are also painted or coated with steel
- Stainless Steel is a classic example of metal roofing and it is preferred by a lot of people due to their durability and longevity.
- Combined blend of two or more metals that are used for the metal roofing.
- Stone coated steel. There are various panels that are made with stone coated steel and these are coated with acrylic gel. These are a natural product however are marketed with a color ceramic coating for aesthetic purposes.
- Tin is also a preferred material for its use in metal roofing.
Copper- This is again one of the most common metals that are widely used for roofing purposes. Roofs that are made of copper material are resistant to corrosion and are durable. These also have the attributes of being low on maintenance, radio frequency shielding, lightening protection, and various other benefits that are sustainable. Copper roofs stand out architecture wise when it comes to the construction of churches, universities and other government buildings. This is again a highly recyclable product and it is compatible with other products as well. It is of no surprise then that copper is highly in demand when it comes to metal roofs. These also result in a much higher energy saving than asphalt or other metals do.