A timber dining table looks beautiful in any home and gives the room a certain warmth and elegance. Such tables are the perfect centerpiece and are conveniently available in different shapes and sizes, too. They can, also, be made of different types of woods as seen in the following details:-
But, they all need to be maintained properly in order for them to last and constantly look good. Maintenance, however, does require knowledge of certain essential points and they are studied below.
Care of Wood Dining Table
#1. The Constant Exposure to the Direct Rays of the Sun is Harmful
The constant direct exposure can cause discoloration and damage to the woods over time. It can spoil the finishes of the woods and thereby, ruin the table and its original beauty as well. Over time, it can, also, bleach the woodwork and cause fading of the items, and also, eventually crack at different places. To avoid these mishaps, it is generally a good idea to place the timber dining table away from direct sunlight. The indirect or soft sunlight will ensure that there is enough natural light without damaging the dining table.
#2. Extremes of Temperature and Humidity are Problematic
Both temperature and humidity can have adverse effects on wood. They can cause wood to crack, split, warp and even swell-up. Along with avoiding direct exposure to sunlight, the items must be kept away from direct heat sources, too. In addition to these aspects, constant fluctuation of humidity levels (too high or too low) can contribute to such problems. The optimal solution in this regard is trying to maintain the following as far as possible—
- Indirect exposure to sunlight
- Avoidance of direct heat in any form
- Constant temperature levels
- Constant humidity levels
This helps in preserving the original beauty of the timber dining table and increasing its longevity.
#3. Spillage can also Damage a Beautiful Timber Dining Table
Any type of spillage can spoil the surface of the table, tarnishing its once unblemished appearance. This can happen as part of an ordinary daily routine where somebody accidentally spills milk or other foodstuffs. It can, also, happen during an evening gala when any of the guests accidentally spill wine or food. These happenings are unpredictable, uncontrollable and are not always possible to avoid. If spillage does occur, wiping the area immediately with a damp cloth is the preferred solution. Another way to prevent damage is by covering the table with a good quality transparent tablecloth. This way, the table remains visible and protected and any spillage can be cleaned easily.
#4. Each Type of Table Needs Specific Cleaning Requirements
This means and includes the awareness of a combination of factors—
- The kind of wood the timber dining table is made of
- The type of finish that is used on the surface of the table
- The sort of wood along with the type of finish determines the precise cleaning methods that can be used
- Daily dusting with a soft dry cloth is good, as the accumulation of dust can gradually spoil the item’s appearance over time
- Covering the table with a tablecloth or using tablemats helps to prevent marks and scratches that may be otherwise, difficult or impossible to remove
- Additionally using felt pads, coasters or even a custom-made glass covering on the tabletop provides the required protection
- The right type and assortment of cleaners and polishers along with timely repairs are also necessary.
These help to maintain the table properly and also, offer the appropriate and much-needed care.
Thus, all the above-mentioned points together can help keep the timber dining table shining and new. It is always a good idea, though, to remember that each table requires specific and timely maintenance, including necessary repairs. This further ensures that the table lasts for many years and remains as the centerpiece of your dining room for a long duration.