Blocking of drains is a common and frequently occurring issue in every household and in a commercial place. Drains are one of the most essential things which are responsible for a healthy lifestyle. They are solely responsible for disposing of liquid waste. If the drains get blocked, the waste will not be able to pass through giving rise to the growth of bacteria, which will lead to an unbearable foul smell. The common tendency of humans is to pay no heed to the drainage system until it gives up completely. The drainage issues tend to affect everyone irrespective of the actual condition. It can be said that industries suffer from blocked drain more than other buildings due to their nature of work and materials used. Regular maintenance and repair work though can avoid this problem to a large extent.
Causes of drains blockage
Blocked drains can occur due to several causes. Some of the common causes are explained below.
- The location of the drain plays an essential role in clogging. If the drain is located outside the building dry leaves or tree roots may jam the pipes and cause an obstruction for the flow of water.
- Sometimes indoor blockage may occur if heavy materials or objects are dumped into the drains.
- It may also get completely jammed by sanitary products, tissues, paper towels, wipes, and even hair.
- The clogging of drains that occur in the toilet or the bathroom is due to the flushing of inappropriate items.
- The toilet papers can clog the drains as well.
- If there are issues with the bathtub it may occur due to bath salts since they do not dissolve completely.
- The soap sometimes plays the culprit by allowing debris and other substances to form solid.
- Children’s toys also sometimes block the bathtub or the drains.
- The clogging of drains in the kitchen may occur due to food items, greases and other particles that are usually washed in the kitchen sink.
- Clogging of drains by a vegetable peel is a common issue in many households.
- Coffee grinds can also block the drains.
- The cotton swabs, cigarette filters, and even cotton balls can completely block the drains.
- Baby wipers and the other baby products if dumped can lead to the blockage of drains.
Home Remedies to get rid of blocked drains
The drains can be cleaned by following some simple steps. The few things you can do to get rid of blocked drains are explained below. To remove stains and foul odor from the sink you can follow the following steps.
- Firstly, pour a cup of vinegar in the sink and leave it for about an hour.
- Rinse the sink well with warm water.
- Use a cup of baking soda followed by boiling water. Repeat it until the clogging and the odor reduces completely.
- You can squeeze lemons and leave it for one hour.
- You can use a bleach pen to remove small stains from the sink.
Steps to follow clean the drains from clogging.
- Firstly, you have to fill the sink with water.
- Use a plunger for giving plunges to the sink and create a tight seal.
- Use a plastic drain cleaning tool. These are usually flexible tools used to clean the blocked Drains. The barbs are usually strong and sharp and you can have a good grip on it.
- The stubborn clogs can be removed by using a wet or dry shop vacuum.
- The clogs that occur from greases from cooking can be removed by wrapping a heating pad around the pipe.
It is always better to hire professionals for your blocked drain.