A lot of people are dependent on wheelchair for their movement around the place and become little less dependent. There are various kinds of wheelchair from manual to battery-operated high-end ones, but the thing that is common in every wheelchair is that one is sitting on it for long periods of time.
Sitting on a wheelchair for longer periods of time can become problematic for varieties of reasons. It can affect your pressure points and can result in pressure sores or ulcers. To solve this one must use wheelchair pressure relief cushions for better comfort.
Different Types of Wheelchair Pressure Relief Cushions
If you are sitting on the wheelchair for longer periods or almost whole time, you should consider getting Wheelchair pressure relief cushions as these can help in preventing the pressure sores or ulcers. Pressure sores or ulcers can be really painful for the person and can even hinder the daily tasks like sitting and lying down. Different types of wheelchair pressure relief cushions are:
- Air Cushions
- Heavy Duty Cushions
- Comfort Cushions
- Foam Cushions
- Gel and Water Cushions
- Paediatric Cushions
- Back Cushions
- Prevention Cushions
There is quite a range of these cushions available from expensive to economical ones. They range from paediatric cushions to the ones for elderly.
How to Choose A Wheelchair Pressure Relief Cushion?
If you are thinking of buying a wheelchair pressure relief cushion you must first see these pointers which can help you come to a decision on which one to buy:
- Look for options which provide the best pressure relief as this is the main purpose of getting a relief cushion. Areas like lower back, sit bones and hips are most likely to form pressure sores.
- The usage of cushion should be kept in mind while purchasing one.
- Friction and sheer force are other factors that one must consider. The cushion should not let person to slide too much and neither to restrict the movement too much. Balance should be there otherwise it can result in pressure sores.
- Look out for cushions which have protective liners or covers which can be changed and washed away to help maintain the hygiene.
- The cushion must be able to distribute your weight evenly around, which is accomplished by different types of cushions in different ways.
These are some of the pointers that must be kept in mind while you are buying a cushion. These pointers can help reduce your legwork a lot.
How to Have A Comfortable Wheelchair?
Some of the ways you can make your wheelchair comfortable are as follows:
- Lumbar Support – It is the area in lower back where it curves inside, Lumbar support can make a lot of difference to your comfort on a wheelchair. You can put a rolled-up cloth or you can get lumbar support sets.
- ROHO cushions – These cushions are available in both high and low range options. These are the best among the cushioning that is being done for wheelchair.
- Get Arm Rests – Get your Arm rests cushioned.
- Get Jay Backrest – Getting a back rest can enhance the comfort ability of a wheelchair. Jay Backrests are the best among the ones available.
- Customised Seating – You can also think about getting customised sitting arrangements and cushioning done by professionals who will do it according to the needs of your body.
If you are thinking about making your wheelchair more comfortable these pointers will definitely help you out. Also, you must try wheelchair pressure relief cushions which can improve your experience and can make it easier and more comfortable; this can overall improve your outlook to many things.